Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Altec 604G frames with metal phase plug

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Altec 604G frames with metal phase plug

    I just picked up a 604G with the Urei horn. It must be an older one because it has the metal phase plug instead of the tangerine. This woofer has a non original cone. My plan is to get another 604 frame and send them both to GPA for a recone.

    I can get a better deal on frames if I don't actually get a 604G. The Urei models are cheaper along with the 604LN, 604HPLN, and the 904. From what I understand all of these share the same exact frame and motor as the 604G. Since they will be recones anyways it doesn't matter what the cone differences are.

    From what I understand according to the Altec literature the 604HPLN was never offered with the metal phase plug. I have seen some early versions that have a different magnet cover (same as my 604) that I think might be pre-tangerine.

    Any ideas guys?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604G frames with metal phase plug

    I spoke to someone selling a 604HPLN on ebay with the same magnet cover as mine. Unfortunately it looks like all (probably most) of the HPLN woofers have the tangerine. Somehow I always end up with the oddball Altec woofers. Maybe its because there are so many of them.

    I guess I will have to keep an eye out for an older 604G

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604G frames with metal phase plug

    The 904 is the ferrite pancake magnet.
    All the others share the G and H magnet.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Generally older Gs have the rounded rear cover like an 802-8D/808-8A. Newer G's have the flat 802-8G style cover.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604G frames with metal phase plug

    My 604G has the older steel phase plug but the newer style rear cover. And yes my bad about mentioning the 904. I know its a ferrite motor
    Last edited by Elitopus1; August 16th, 2016 at 12:57 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604G frames with metal phase plug

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    My 604G has the older steel phase plug but the newer style rear cover. And yes my bad about mentioning the 904. I know its a ferrite motor
    This is the Altec world we are in lol.

    Does it have a sticker on the magnet or label on the cover? Early Gs had a sticker on the side

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604G frames with metal phase plug

    Quote Originally Posted by magnarc View Post
    This is the Altec world we are in lol.

    Does it have a sticker on the magnet or label on the cover? Early Gs had a sticker on the side
    Mine has the regular Altec 604G label on the back of the cover. I know the later Urei 604 just had a small rectangle white label. Kinda like the Altec versions in factory Altec cabs.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Does anyone know what the build difference is between the 604 that have a smooth magnet cover versus the ridged version? I also have this same difference in a 515b woofer I have versus the 515c woofer. On the back of the magnet cover (on the woofer) there is a ridge around the edge. It seems like the eariler woofers have it and the later woofers don't.

    First example is smooth.

    Vintage Altec 604 HPLN 15" Duplex Speaker CSL | eBay

    Second is ridged

    Altec Lansing 604 HPLN 16" Coaxial Duplex Monitor Speaker Vintage | eBay

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.